Completing an Eagle Scout project is hard — completing one during a pandemic is even harder, but it can be done, as proven by 10 Scouts in Troop 98 of Whitpain Township, Pa.
Summer camp was cancelled as was the troop’s two-week backpacking trek at Philmont Scout Ranch, so the Scouts focused on community service and merit badges last summer. When COVID-19 restrictions eased last summer, Scouts got to work, collectively earning 108 merit badges while 10 Scouts completed their intensive projects required for the Eagle Scout Award. They were:
- Stephen Autieri refurbished an outdoor education area at a local elementary school.
- Brendan Garrity installed elevated boardwalks in low-lying areas of a nature trail system.
- Teddy Nagle installed fly traps around the community, including two public parks, to catch the invasive bugs during their nymph stage.
- Jack Sanfilippo collected more than 2,500 pounds of food for a local food bank.
- Luke Murray built birdhouses and installed them in several local preserves.
- Zach Malloy assembled 21 picnic tables and removed or repaired many of the aging tables at a state park.
- John Connaghan installed an orienteering course for visitors at a state park.
- Dean DiGiovanni cleaned up and improved a park and public swim club.
- EJ Whitaker renovated the walking labyrinth at a church, the troop’s original chartering organization.
- Nick Czincila assembled 5,000 COVID kits for the county board of health.
Your Scouts, too, can continue serving their communities. Before they do though, review Scouting’s COVID-19 page for guidelines and follow local and state restrictions. Service projects will look different than before the COVID-19 pandemic, but they can be done safely while still helping the community.
“A lot of work goes into coordinating with people and making sure everything gets done properly,” John Connaghan says.
Share your Scout’s projects, too
Has your Scout recently completed an Eagle Scout project? We’d love to see it! You can submit before-and-after Eagle project photos for future Bryan on Scouting posts by visiting here. You can also check out even more great Eagle projects at the Scout Life Eagle Project Showcase.
Powered by WPeMatico