Weeks after Hurricane Harvey reached the Texas coast, another major storm could be headed toward the U.S.
Hurricane Irma, a Category 5 storm, could trace a path of destruction along the islands in the north Caribbean, and, depending on its strength and direction, the storm may reach South Florida by this weekend.
Many could be impacted by this storm, including those in our Scouting family. As such, it’s more important than ever to Be Prepared. Please review these resources from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and make sure you know what to do before, during, and after a storm:
When a hurricane is headed for your area, you can take steps ahead of time to be ready for the storm. Make sure you and your family have a plan, gather supplies, and know how to safely evacuate, if necessary.
- Make a plan (English) (Spanish)
- Get supplies (English) (Spanish)
- Prepare your home (English) (Spanish)
- Flood readiness (English) (Spanish)
Know how to keep yourself safe once a storm arrives. Whether you remain at your home or evacuate, safety should always come first.
- Information for during a hurricane (English) (Spanish)
- Food and water safety during power outages and floods (English)
- In a flood, turn around, don’t drown! (English)
- Sanitation during a flood (English) (Spanish)
- Generator safety (English) (Spanish)
Unfortunately, the impact of a hurricane doesn’t end when the storm subsides. Be sure you and your family know the safety precautions to take once recovery efforts begin.
- Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning after an emergency (English) (Spanish)
- Be safe after a hurricane (English) (Spanish)
- Clean up your home (English) (Spanish)
- Mold FAQs (English) (Spanish)
- Carbon monoxide FAQs (English) (Spanish)
- Get rid of mold (English) (Spanish)
- Coping after a disaster (English) (Spanish)
Want to help others in your community prepare for an oncoming storm? Head to CDC.gov for more information on weather emergencies, or call 800-CDC-INFO for questions.
A Scout is helpful, but be sure to check out our 5 safety tips to remember if you plan to participate in hurricane relief efforts, as well the “Scouting Safely” site on scouting.org for information on incident reporting, BSA health and safety guidelines, and more.
The post Hurricane Season: How to Prepare, Stay Safe, and Recover Post-Storm appeared first on Scouting Wire.
Powered by WPeMatico