Like tying a bowline or hitting a baseball, skills in reading can be improved with practice.
Experts at the National Education Association say that the more young people read for fun on their own time, the higher their reading scores. Also important, the experts say: offering diverse reading materials. That means in addition to books, young people should read magazines.
Hmm. A fun-filled magazine for young people, you say? I know just the thing.
Boost a young person’s reading skills by giving him a subscription to Boys’ Life magazine. And today, in honor of International Literacy Day, anyone can subscribe to Boys’ Life at half price: 12 issues for just $12 a year. That’s the Scout rate of $1 a month, and it’s available to anyone for a limited time.
Go here and enter the promo code NLD17 to subscribe at the special rate.
And remember: Today’s readers are tomorrow’s leaders.
What the experts say about reading
According to the National Education Association:
- As the number of types of reading materials in the home increases, a student’s reading proficiency increases, too. That means parents should make available magazines, newspapers and merit badge pamphlets in addition to books.
- Students who read more at home are better readers and have higher math scores.
- As students get older, they spend less time reading for fun. That makes it increasingly important to give them things they’ll enjoy reading, like Boys’ Life.
- Reading a lot is one of the crucial components of becoming a good reader. Young readers need to become practiced at recognizing letters and sounds, and the only way to get good at this is to practice. A lot.
- The more students read for fun on their own time, the higher their reading scores.
What Boys’ Life does to promote literacy
- Offers young people something to read that’s both enjoyable and age-appropriate.
- Tailors content to their age group. (Fun fact: There are two versions of BL each month — one for Cub Scouts and another for Boy Scouts. Your reader gets the right one automatically.)
- Shares suggestions about other books young readers might enjoy.
- Gives Scouts ideas for future Scouting events, campouts and adventures.
Go here to subscribe. Don’t forget the promo code, NLD17, for the special International Literacy Day rate.
Powered by WPeMatico