The transition from Webelos to Boy Scouts is an important stage in a Cub Scout’s journey. It is crucial that leaders in Scouting do everything they can to make the process as seamless and inviting as possible for Webelos and their parents.
To make sure Scouts make the move from Webelos to Boy Scouts, follow these eight steps for a successful transition.
- Select Scouts who represent your troop well to serve as den chiefs for Webelos Scout dens, while also arranging for den chief training.
- Serve as a resource for overnight activities. The Troop can be of service to provide equipment, leadership, and logistics for Webelos parent-son campouts to show how troops operate in the outdoors.
- Invite dens and parents to a troop meeting to show and explain the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting and to see the Methods of Scouting and its aims. Provide each Webelos Scout a copy of the Troop’s calendar for the upcoming year.
- Conduct an orientation for parents and Webelos led by youth leaders using the New Scout Parent orientation resource on Scouting.org.
- Work with Webelos den leaders to encourage them to plan to move into the troop with their Webelos Scouts and to serve as either committee members or assistant Scoutmasters.
- Conduct a Scoutmaster conference under the guidance of the Scoutmaster covering the meaning of the Scout Oath and Law, the advancement program, troop camping, the patrol method, summer camp, and personal equipment.
- Work with the Cubmasters to implement a meaningful Webelos to Scouts crossover ceremony at the pack’s Blue and Gold Banquet. Arrange for each Webelos Scout to receive a unique form of recognition like a Troop t-shirt or neckerchief and Boy Scout Handbook, along with the Arrow of Light Award.
- Make sure to highlight the benefits of the Boy Scout program and emphasize why it is so important for Webelos to join a troop.
Do you have any Webelos to Boy Scouts transition tips that have worked in your council? Share with us in the comments below!
The post 8 Ideas for an Easy Webelos to Boy Scouts Transition appeared first on Scouting Wire.
Powered by WPeMatico